“It’s refreshing to have Chartered Accountants who see more than compliance. Since working with iif we’ve been able to make better business decisions, knowing we’re on the right path.”John Roche, AlphaNZ Technology
Accounting, Tax & Tech
Proactive accounting and tax, with clever apps to save you time
Strategy & Accountability
Strategy, planning and direction, with support to control your future
Build & Protect Wealth
Develop extra profits and an investor attitude to generate future wealth
What makes iif Chartered Accountants so different?
In our experience, business owners get the most from their Chartered Accountant when they’re talking about more than accounting and tax.
The value comes from conversations about cashflow, profitability, and working capital. Conversations about structuring, asset protection, and minimising risk, together with investments, property, and wealth creation. Then through conversations about accounting and tax – this is the end, not the beginning.
We’re focused on these conversations, and involving your other professionals (like your lawyer, risk advisor and mortgage broker) to make sure nothing falls through the gaps and that your financial health is in good-shape through your Financial Blueprint.
Aside from collaboration, there’s a fair few other reasons to work with us:
- Upfront pricing so you know what you’re up for
- All new customers go through our onboarding process which means we learn about what’s important to you and your business (we won’t just trot out a standard package)
- We’ve been there and done that. As a high growth business ourselves, we understand the ups (and downs) which means we’re well placed to help you grow
Ultimately we’re focused on:
- Making the complicated accounting and tax simple, and introducing you to clever technology (like Xero) to save you time
- Improving the design of how your business operates, keeping you in control
- Managing your cashflow and funding so you don’t miss opportunities (like that investment property) due to tight cash
- Growing and protecting your wealth by creating an ‘investor attitude’, making you financially independent from your business or job
We do this by:
- Understanding where you’re at on the Business Growth Curve, to identify what’s made you successful to date, and what’s holding you back from taking your business to the next level
- Meeting with you (generally) three times per year to review your situation, reset your tactics for the coming months, and to walk with you to put those tactics into play
- Looking at more than just accounting and tax (for example by altering your revenue streams, developing an exit strategy, understanding your fixed capital requirements, or identifying your investment strategy)
Some of the people we’re endorsed by or work with include:
We’ve built a collection of resources to manage your cash, increase profits, manage taxes, build wealth and more
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve put together a collection of the questions we often come across, with quick and easy answers.
Selling your business?
Find out over 5 weeks how to succesfully sell a business, and how to maximise the value of your business
Find out over 5 weeks how to minimise your taxes, what you can claim, and how rental properties should be structured
Our Blog & Business Updates
Our take on what’s happening in business and tax, together with how you can respond
What to expect
We know that changing accountant can seem like more hassle than it’s worth – you may think they’re all the same and the devil you know is better than the one you don’t. Rest assured, we’re different, and we the change as simple as possible (we’ll even break up with your old accountant for you).
Yes, we may ask a few extra questions to get everything worked out, but long term you’ll be in safe hands and have a financial blueprint for your business.
Here’s what works best in our experience:
Initial catch up (coffee or wine anyone?)
This is to find out if there’s common ground between us and if we want to work together. If there is, great, let’s keep talking. If not, no problem, it was good to meet you!
We’ll arrange a Discovery Session
The Discovery Meeting is designed to find out about you and your business in more detail. This helps us to understand the types of proactive advice you need to run your business.
If you’re open to it, we prefer to involve your other professional advisors in this session – it makes sure everyone’s on the same page and driving you in the same direction. If you’re not working closely with other advisors, we’re happy to introduce you to people we work closely with (they attend at no charge, and no obligation).
After the Discovery Session, we’ll put some thought into the issues you’re facing and your family and business objectives. We’ll then come up with blueprint to work towards over the coming years. At this stage we’ll also give you some fixed prices so you know the investment required.
The recommended action plan typically covers:
- Accounting compliance, and any tax planning required
- Business strategy to identify how we can help you move through the Business Growth Curve
- Advisory work on any specific projects you need undertaken (like working capital analysis, or investment property growth plans)
- Working with your other advisors to make sure you’ve got things like your wills, insurances, HR and debt structures sorted.
Let’s get moving. We’ll arrange the transfer over from your previous accountant (we can break up with them for you if that helps). Working in with your time frames and budgets, we’ll fit our blueprint around what works best for you.
A few other points to note:
- You won’t be offered a Gold/Silver/Bronze package. We think it’s better to tailor something specific for you and your business, based on our Discovery Session.
- You’ll get a fixed price quote before we start any work, which you can pay monthly.
- We’re not the cheapest accountants in town, but certainly aren’t the most expensive either.
- You don’t get charged extra for phone calls. You can call us at any time without worrying about the clock ticking.
Our philosophy is based on collaborating with you, your family, and your professional advisors on your financial health. In our experience, the best outcomes are achieved when everyone is on the same page and pushing in the same direction.
We believe in fixed prices (we’ll try and let you know what you’re up for before we start work), old fashioned customer service (we give the same service you’d expect your staff to give), and making our customers lives as easy as possible.
We also believe in not passing you around the office, or from person to person. You’ll have one main point of contact, and one other person who knows what’s going on. This means there’s always someone around who can help, you, and you get a continuity of staff member.
Director & Dogs Body
An issue he’s seeing regularly is business owners relying on “averages”. They’ll base decisions on the average month, and then feel pressured when they’re below average. We all know that there’s ups and downs in business – it’s about understanding when the downs are coming and planning appropriately.
If you’d like to catch up for a coffee feel free to get in touch – 021 752 270 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Manager & Surfing Expert
Developing our clients understanding of cash flow enables them to be ready for challenges when they arise instead of fighting fires after the fact.
We see many businesses hit tough times because they haven’t equipped themselves with enough capital or don’t have an understanding of debt to tide them through a dip in sales.
By analysing the business plan and processes with our clients we can better develop systems for mitigating cash flow issues before they arise.
If you are looking for someone to help guide your business get in touch for a coffee – 04 212 4977 or email@example.com
Manager & Camp Leader
She has spent time working in both large and small accounting firms.
She is a friendly professional with
a passion for helping business owners grow their businesses while ensuring they comply with their statutory requirements.
Out of work you’ll find Keitha spending time with her family, practicing yoga and trying out new recipes in the kitchen with a glass of wine.
If you have any accounting questions feel free to call, text or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Client Advisor & Amazing Golfer
A focus of Jay’s are the processes and systems of a business and how inefficiencies are created. While Jay comes across businesses that may have processes and systems, he often finds that there not effectively articulated to staff, or even written down at all!
When Jay’s not in the office, you’ll find him enjoying the vast range of restaurants and cafés Wellington has on offer; travelling to see his family; or on the golf course tempting his fate in the terrible Wellington wind.
If you’d like to catch up with Jay for a coffee or even a game of golf, please don’t hesitate to get in touch – 212 4977 or email@example.com
Accountant & Xero Legend
Eugenie brings an attention to detail for the clients she’s working with, making sure everything is spot on.
That said, while we’re 100% paperless, you’ll still find her with a hand written to do list on her desk each morning – she thrives on physically ticking of her days tasks!
Outside of work Eugenie likes to visit local cafes and go on walks with her family and friends (more for the gossiping then the actual walking!)
Accountant & Office Go-to
Alex is here to apply his knowledge from his studies and get a better understanding of accounting so he can provide useful solutions to clients. Alex is keen to gain an insight into how small businesses operate, so that he can develop goals and objectives that will suit any client.
Outside of work you will find Alex in the Gym five days a week or playing a range of sports. Alex enjoys spending his free time with his friends and family. Maintaining healthy relationships is a big priority of Alex and he aims to translate this into every client he works with.
Office Manager & Keeping us all Sane
If you’ve got any questions, feel free to call her on 04 212 4977 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We hire people-people
In your email, tell us something interesting about yourself. We’re more interested in finding out about you as a person, not your work experience.